Monday, August 18, 2008

Angry White Man: A Message from Me

Let me preface my message with a brief statement. I actually wrote this back in February, when I first read the article described below. I'd posted it to another blog that I have since shut down and have reposted it here...which accounts for the seemingly late response. I'm sure Gary's 15 minutes of fame have come and gone by now.

So, my husband just brought home a copy of Gary Hubbell'sopinion piece from the Aspen Times entitled Angry White Man (I'm notgoing to cheapen my blog space by posting his article here...but you can Google "Angry White Man" and read it yourself, if you'd like-- just have a
trash can handy nearby for when you're ready to hurl. Or a confederate flag for when you're ready to wave it -- depending on your stance).

Anyway, my husband asked if I might read it out loud...I'm guessing so he could actually hear the hitch in my voice as I gradually discovered that what I thought initially was a joke, was actually anything but. And, maybe, (probably would be more like it) because my husband knows just how riled I can get when I read crap like this...and I think part of him enjoys watching the fireworks.

I won't claim to be an expert in the political arena, but living in the middle of the Bible Belt, raised in a predominantly right-wing, Christian community of citizens who, even in the 21st century, still work adamantly and fervently to keep copies of Catcher in the Rye off the shelves of our high school libraries, I'm plenty versed on the workings of the "Angry White Man"…and the fear and apathy that drive them.

And, as much as I hate to give him any recognition whatsoever, Mr. Hubbell was right about one aspect of his thinly veiled racist opinion. There is, absolutely, a huge amount of interest in this year's presidential elections. The fact that both a black man and a woman are not only in the running for the presidency, but also have a colossal chance of winning it, is history in the making…and people are interested. And the fact that both a black man and a woman are not only in the running for the presidency, but also have a colossal chance of winning
it, scares the shit out of the Angry White Man…doesn't it, Gary?

But, I'm confused… which candidate, exactly, has been pandering to transgenders and illegal immigrants, Gary? I mean, I'm not at every political rally so I can't confirm that it's not happening, but I haven't seen much media coverage surrounding this so called brown-nosing
to "smorgasboards of special interest groups". You might try asking a member of the gay community or a couple of children of illegal immigrants which candidate is favoring and promoting issues favoring their groups. I mean, I've seen a few touch and runs...but mostly what I see, when it comes to granting rights to gay Americans or lending aid to children of immigrants is a bunch of dodging and weaving....from all the candidates. No one wants to commit when it comes to those "special interest" groups.

And, Gary…I gotta tell you…you sound every bit as whiny as my toddler during the midst of a full out tantrum when you complain that no one recognizes the Angry White Man. The Angry White Man has been stomping his feet and screaming at the top of his lungs ever since blacks were granted the right to vote and women left their bare feet behind for sturdy shoes and business suits. People hear you. Trust me. They're just trying desperately to ignore you.

And, it's funny that the Angry White Man claims that he isn't looking for anything more than a "level playing field". As long as the quarterback isn't female, the point guard isn't gay and the pitcher isn't black… right? Because we all know that only the Angry White Man pays taxes, picks up the tab, buys three sets of braces and pays for college educations. No one else. Right, Gary?

You call words like disenfranchisement and marginalization "buzzwords of victimhood". I like that. Buzzwords. Victimhood. They sound "marginally" intelligent...even for an Angry White Man.

Might I ask, Gary…err..I mean, Angry White Man, how many generations of your family were deprived the right to vote? And, as far as marginalization goes, I don't know, a little like a school yard bully, I get the feeling that the Angry White Man comes out swinging because he was long ago marginalized – put in a corner, confined to an outer edge of social standing - by others. Perhaps it might behoove him to ask himself if his narcisistic, superior attitude and his racist, bigotry filled remarks might have anything to do with that marginilzation?

It makes sense, though, that the Angry White Man would wish the Constitution to be interpreted literally, rather than allowing it to evolve and progress as society does. Especially since he, himself seems to have issue with evolving and progressing. So, I'm sure the Angry White Male is
dismayed at the thought of sharing a polling booth with his black neighbor or, even worse, his black neighbor's daughter.

Heck, even the Founding Fathers had the foresight to understand that the Constitution may need to change from time to time…unless I've misunderstood Article 5 of the Constitution…which is possible. After all, I'm a woman, more prone to emotion than rational thought.

Believe it or not, I'm an adamant defender of the 2nd Amendment and I applaud all men and women, black and white, who are willing to put their lives on hold, (and many times on the line) to pick up a gun and defend our freedom and our safety and our country. But only the Angriest White Man (and in my experience, generally one who has never been brave enough or dedicated enough to serve his country) would find no bother in killing…even when it's "someone who needs to be killed". I dunno. I'm one to think if you lose the "bother" of killing, you probably aren't a whole good better than the people you've determined deserved to die. But there's that emotion
talking again.

h, and my favorite claim of all…"The Angry White Man is not meterosexual, homosexual or a victim." Well, he's most assuredly not a Metrosexual (his wife beater t-shirt and Confederate Flag tractor cap prevent that) although a disposable income and a good manicure might make him far less angry. Nor is he a homosexual, though many times I get that "thy doth protest too much" feeling about him. But he *is*, categorically, The. Biggest. Victim. Of.

Them. All. Everyone knows someone who is angry. And white. And a man.

The Angry White Men are the men whose neighborhoods have gone "downhill" since the minorities and foreigners moved next door. They're the men who find politically correct terms to be an inconvenience and an assassination of their God-given rights, rather than a
recognition and acceptance of the God-given rights of others. They're always put upon, left out and thrown away. Ever the victim.

And, let me ask you, Gary…how many times have you been in a situation where you were forced to leave the only home you've everknown, the only job you've ever had and a head to a place you've never lived with little resources, no family to rely on and no place to go once you got
there? And, if you ever have had an occasion to make a judgment call like that, God bless you. But, you'll have a hard time convincing me that people like you (smart enough to know when to leave) are brave enough to go back and rescue. And if you did, it certainly wouldn't be for the humanity of it anyway. Only for the fame, notoriety and bragging rights. The Angry White Man plays armchair quarterback by sitting back, pointing fingers and telling everyone else how it's done. The Angry White Man doesn't help people he deems stupid or helpless…because the Angry White Man is too stupid and self centered to understand and empathize with those who may not have been as lucky in their draw in life.

The Angry White Man is barely a man…let alone a man's man. The most important men in my life, Mr. Hubbell, my fathers (and yes, I'm lucky enough to have two) and my husband are the real men's men…they play poker and watch football and hunt. They build things and change their own oil and love their family and friends. Absolutely. They've served in Vietnam and fought for justice and molded young minds. And all of them would be greatly bothered by taking the life of another human being…whether they thought it deserved to be done or not. Something I doubt the Angry White Man has much familiarity with. Because unlike the Angry White Man, a real man is able to balance his machismo with his respect for the opposite gender.
He isn't threatened if his wife makes more money than him and his wife doesn't mind when he opens the door for her. And…just a little fyi…a real man would never disrespect his wife's honor by stuffing dollar bills into a the g-string of a stranger at his local strip club, even if only "once in a blue moon". Does your wife really buy that bull?

The Angry White Man may be male by gender, but he's no man. He's scared and he's a bully and, he's full of misdirected rage and self loathing. And, contrary to the Angry White Man's beliefs, a man who believes a woman his equal does not a dishrag make. Most women, should you ever
have balls enough to actually ask, would tell you they don't want to run the show but they don't want to live with a dictator either. "Partner" is a word that real men embrace and respect and from which the Angry White Man flees.

And, again, I agree with you Gary, when you say that the Angry White Man might be a Republican, a Democrat, a Libertarian or a Green…but there's one thing you left out...he's always a caveman…and one with a serious inferiority complex and probably an incredibly small penis to boot. So, quit whining, Mr. Hubbell and tell all your Angry White Friends to put on their
big boy underwear and deal with it…because there's not a race or a gender who hasn't experienced ten-fold everything you complain about. What you speak of Mr. Hubbell, well that's just life. Deal with it.

But please don't patronize your more intelligent counterparts by claiming that you're not a racist. In my experience it's usually statements just like yours…"I'm not racist, but…" "I'm not homophobic, but.." "I'm not sexist, but…" that imply exactly the opposite to be true. Face it,
Gary you're only willing to give everyone a fair chance to play by the rules as long as you get to define fair and you get to set the rules. And, I wonder, do you and all the rest of the Angry White Men realize that your soon to be Angry White Children are some of the only children world wide who only learn one language…making them educationally inferior and at an occupational disadvantage to many of their peers worldwide? Maybe pressing 2 for Spanish shouldn't be such a curse word after all.

And, guess what, Gary? I'm pissed off too. I'm tired of people like you popping out of the woodwork every election year crying about discriminations and inequities and injustices, when in fact, the Angry White Man happens to be the least discriminated-against group of people in the
world. And, as much as it pains you to admit, you know who else votes, Gary? Educated white women, black female CEO's, politically informed lesbians, intelligent black men and hard working members of the gay community. Be careful, though… if you keep up your screaming and your crying, you may well end up with the exact opposite result you intended, as you'll drive us to the polls in droves, and we'll all vote for Hillary just to piss you off.

But, don't let the likes of Hillary Clinton or Al Sharpton, or heck, even me… make you feel guilty for being a white male. Not at all. Let us make you feel guilty for being an angry, ignorant white male. And, in the meantime, take some advice from an Angry White Female…take a Viagra, and a chill pill, man up and quitcho' cryin'.





No comments:

 
Designed by Lena